Ms. Garner is the school counselor at Oak Glen High School. Ms. Garner is available daily at the school. In addition, she can be reached through her office phone or email provided below.
Sherrie L. Garner, MA
Master of Arts Counseling, West Virginia University 2007
Bachelor of Science, Physical Education West Virginia University 1993
Phone 304-564-3500 ext. 3709. firstname.lastname@example.org
Today's school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development. Ms. Garner is available to help each student reach their greatest potential and prepare them for post high school studies, career planning, and the workplace as their personal goals define them.
Lunch Room Visits
- National Guard - SGT Deneka Szafran - February 14
- West Liberty - Senior Visit Only (Students who have applied to West Liberty for Fall 2017 - Rhonda Tysk - February 15th
- WVNCC - Aaron Kuhns - February 21st
- Farimont State - Brittany Stout - March 21st.
- Beaver Falls Beauty Academy - $35 Prom Special Elegant Hair Style - Make-up – Manicure
- Waynesburg University Mock Crime Scene Workshop. March 17, 2018 9:00am – 3:00pm – no cost to students, lunch is provided, open to junior and seniors only – more info and registration @ 800-225-7393 or email email@example.com
- National College Fair – David Lawrence Convention Center Thursday February 8th 9am – noon and 6:30 – 9pm and Friday February 9th 9am-noon – check out the digital edition to the College Fair Guide www.collegefairguide.com and no cost registration www.nacacfairs.com early registration helps with giving you time to speak to college representatives.
- Murphy Tractor & Equipment Co. careers http://murphytractor.com/
- West Virginia Governor’s School of Entrepreneurship for 9th, 10th and 11th graders – Deadline for applications February 28, 2108 – Held at West Virginia University June 25 – July 15 – applications at www.govschools.wv.gov/gse
- West Virginia Governor’s Honor Academy – a summer residential program providing academic enrichment in areas of science, math, technology, the arts and the humanities. GHS is open o 11th graders who live and attend school in WV. Dates are July 1 – July 21, 2018 www.govschools.wv.gov/gha - Applications are on-line and are to be submitted to Ms. Garner by March 1, 2018. All forms are to be printed and turned in to be submitted to the Hancock County Schools Director of Secondary Education for recommendation
- Ohio Valley College of Technology - 3 Day Nursing Experience “Jeans to Scrubs” High School Students Class of 2018, 2019 or 2020 Application fee is $50 for a 3-day designed to help students understand the career of nursing and components of becoming a Registered Nurse. Applications are in Ms. Garner’s office or for more info and registration details - http://ovct.edu/ or call Monica Allison @ 330-385-1070
- Waynesburg University – CSI Camp – Camp dates are June 17 – 22 – for more info visit www.waynesburg.edu/csi-camp
- http://www.aaja.org/ - JCamp: An All-Expenses-Paid Journalism Program for High School Students
- Triple-Impact Competitor Scholarship – High School JUNIOR STUDENT ATHLETES ONLY www.positivecoach.org/scholarships - Personal Mastery – Leadership – Honoring the Game are the contribution this scholarship fund is emphasizing. All information and application process is available on-line at the website listed. Deadline is May 31, 2018
- All West Virginia high school Juniors will begin taking the SAT as the statewide summative assessment in Spring 2018, announced by the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE)
- The SAT - www.collegeboard.org - You DO NOT need to register for the summative assessment.
- Class of 2019 Resources via ACT
FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education)
Essay Contest- High School Juniors & Seniors - To enter, students submit an essay between 800 and 1,000 words-information and entry information and deadlines are online:
- The American Legion High School Oratorical Scholarship Program "A Constitutional Speech Contest". For More Information: The American Legion, PO Box 3191, Charleston, WV 25332, 304-342-7591, www.wvlegion.org , firstname.lastname@example.org, or Your Local American Legion Post.
- 2018 Profile in Courage Essay Contest-Describe and analyze an act of political courage by a U.S. elected official who served during or after 1917, the year of JFK's birth. Essay lengh: 700-1,000 words. For complete guidelines, curriculum materials, and related video, please visit - www.jfklibrary.org/essaycontest.
Drone Pilot Ground School-Age 16 and older
The High School STEM Scholarship for Aspiring Commercial Drone Pilots was created to support high school students ages 16 and up who are serious about learning how to fly drones commercially, and support the use f drones to further the interest of high school students in STEM subjects. https://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/scholarship/
Post High School College & Career Testing, Etc
- FAFSA for college admission/registration is starting on October 1, 2017 for the 2018-2019- school year.
- ACT Registration/Information, www.act.org. Oak Glen School Code: 490920
- Class of 2018 Resources via ACT
- SAT Registration/Information, www.collegeboard.org. Oak Glen School Code: 490920
- West Virginia Promise Scholarship Registration available.
- STEPS TO HELP with filing a FASFA: https://blog.ed.gov/2017/09/8-steps-to-filling-out-the-fafsa-form/?sf66013594=1
Financial Aid Timeline for WV Students
Deadline to submit the FAFSA to be considered for the PROMISE Scholarship
Deadline to submit the FAFSA to be considered for the West Virginia Higher Education Grant
Deadline to apply for the Nursing Scholarship